The Surgery

I was admitted for my ACL surgery on the 19th December 2016 at 7:30 am. At my pre op two weeks earlier, the nurse had said that I would need a ‘good book’ because they still operate at 4pm. One thing I didn’t want was to get there for 7:30 to then not go down until 4pm! That was just too long for me to be waiting, getting anxious. Thankfully, I was the first patient down. I was gowned, asked what knee was to be operated on (not great at decreasing that anxiety), asked a load of questions about my health and then wheeled down on a trolley to get dosed up on the good stuff.

I was wheeled into a room where two canulas were so thoughtfully shoved into my arm (they had to do two, cos my veins are teeny tiny and the first one didn’t find the vein). The anaesthetists pumped the general anaesthetic into my arm at 8:45 am. That was the last thing I remember.

I woke up at 12:10 pm in another room with a nurse in a chair beside me, feeling groggy and dehydrated. Thankfully I couldn’t feel my knee at all, I was still so numb. Once awake, feeling awful they wheeled me down to the main ward where I crept in and out of sleep all afternoon. My parents came to visit at around 3pm, and was I was starting to feel a little better. I felt amazing when the consultant said I could go home that day if I was able to get up and about. Unfortunately, my body didn’t agree with the anaesthetic, and after an evening spent throwing up and with super low blood pressure, they kept m in for one night.

Day 1

I work up on the ward in the worst pain I’ve ever felt. One thing they won’t tell you is that the pain after the surgery is much much worse than the injury itself. I was on all the codeine I was allowed. The physio came around about midday and got me up on my feet with my splint and crutches of course. I went for a VERY short walk and that was it he said I was ready to go home. Mum came to pick me up and after a very uncomfortable drive home I was place on the sofa and left with the painkillers. I couldn’t face the stars in my house that day, so I slept on the sofa. All in all, a very uncomfortable day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s